A VIRTUAL QUILTING BEE

You have come to TETHERED THREADS 2. We are a group of 12 women from all over the world who are quilting for one another. Each woman is assigned a month and chooses what she wants the others to make for her. We like that you have stopped by to see what we are doing. Feel free to comment and or ask questions.

Saturday, February 13, 2010

February Block Instructions


Hopefully everybody is starting to receive their fabrics for the February Block. Inside the envelope you will find a copy of the email with some instructions.

Here is a link for Oh Fransson's instructions for this block, but will also explain below as I have slightly adapted this block.

Included in your package you will find various strips of material approximately 9 inches long by 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 inches wide. There are a variety of patterned and striped fabrics.

Start by sewing together 9 strips sets of four fabrics. Although the strips are cut straight, I sewed them together slightly (please, note the slightly) wonky. You may be short a fabric or two here so feel free to add from your stash. I just ask that you keep within the color scheme of the fabrics provided.

Once the strips were completed, I cut the strip sets into three or four pieces of variable sizes. Again, cutting slightly wonky. Again, slightly goes a really long way on this block. I made the mistake of getting too adventurous on my first attempt and it didn't turn out so well.

I then sewed up three slices different slices together and squared the edges, slightly wonky. So I now had nine blocks.

Finally sew together the blocks together to make one large square (or rectangle). This time square the edges properly. I ended up trimming my block to 12 inches square. See what you can do. If it's smaller, that will be fine.

It can be a rather time consuming block, so although I have provided you with enough fabric to complete two squares, it will be fine if you feel like just doing one. Please just return the unused fabric to me.

One tip: I pressed my seams open! I found it a lot easier to work with that way. It also provides a nice flat block. However, if you feel strongly about not pressing seams open, that's fine.

I'm excited to see what you gals come up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment